Monday, September 17, 2012

batting .250 in the fish tank.

I left town for the weekend to visit my parents, and several people mentioned that they thought my post about my fish drama was just hilarious. So awesome. You take pleasure in my sorrow and stress. Great...

I was able to stay at my parents' until Monday morning since I only had parent/teacher conferences that day. I came back to my classroom hoping that my fish hadn't starved, so I went straight to the fish food, and sprinkled some in. Only Johnny was swimming around. I looked along the top of the water for Captain. No sign of him. Wonderful... I looked at the filter since the water looked kind of nasty, and Captain was plastered to the front.


Dead fish in tanks look just as gross as the ones at the river. So, I panicked (I'm getting pretty good at that...). My first parents was due to walk in the door in five minutes, and I'm terrified of swimming creatures... and many others, actually. I didn't want to stick my arm in there, so like a good teacher, I took a pencil, pried the little guy off the filter, and waited til he floated. I got out a cup that used to hold paperclips, and I got him out. By. Myself.


 I very carefully and dramatically took him to the women's restroom and was very careful not to flush him in my usual stall. I don't need any more nightmares. I said goodbye (in my head) and I flushed him. I threw away the pencil and cup, washed scrubbed my hands, and made it back to my classroom with a manner of seconds to spare. My batting average may not be that great when it comes to fish, but it's about that of most of my favorite Cardinals. I guess I should just join their club.

And I sure hope this is the last you have to hear about my fish tales.

Now to figure out how to tell my students...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment