Saturday, July 02, 2011

the test kitchen of Jessica: Recipe 2: Mediterranean Shrimp Packets

I decided to be bold. Make something new. Make something I can't pronounce. Use parchment paper for the first time. Use zucchini for the first time. You seasoned mothers (pun intended) are probably wondering why I've never made anything with zucchini. Oh well, I just haven't. :)

One of the perks of this summer is that I'm learning where all sorts of knew things are in the grocery store. Shrimp included. This recipe was one that had been set out for the lady I work for, and I decided it couldn't be that bad. :)

MEDITERRANEAN SHRIMP PACKETS

PREP: 25 min
OVEN: 425 degrees
BAKE: 25 min
MAKES: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS:

8 ounces fresh or frozen peeled & deveined medium shrimp
1 cup quick-cooking couscous
1 cup boiling water
2 small zucchini and or yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise & thinly sliced
1 small red, yellow, or green sweet pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips
1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup bottled reduced-calorie Italian salad dressing
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil or fresh spinach

1. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Rinse shrimp; pat dry w/paper towels. Set aside. Cut four 16 x 12-inch pieces of parchment. (Or tear off four 24 x 18-inch pieces of heavy foil. Fold each piece in half to make four 18 x 12-inch pieces.)

2. In a small saucepan combine couscous mixture, shrimp, squash, sweet pepper, & artichokes evenly among the 4 pieces of parchment or foil. Sprinkle w/black pepper & salt. Drizzle w/salad dressing.

3. Bring together 2 opposite edges of parchment or foil; seal with a double fold. Fold remaining ends to completely enclose the food, allowing space for steam to build. Place the packets in a single layer on a baking pan.

4. Bake in a 425 degree oven about 25 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque (carefully open a packet to check). Carefully open packets & sprinkle w/ 1 tablespoon of basil or spinach.

Nutritional Facts per serving:

292 calories
3 g fat (0 g. sat. fat)
88 mg chol.
696 mg sodium
46 g carbs.
7 g fiber
20 g protein

Daily Values:

29% vitamin A
67% vitamin C
9% calcium
14% iron

Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 starch, 1 1/2 meat

Lessons learned:
1. After making these, I wished I would've doubled the recipe, but since I just cook for a couple and their five-year-old, I didn't deem it necessary.
2. The parchment paper didn't hold as much as I would have liked. So I opted for foil after my first two packets. And since I left before they were done, I'm not positive that they turned out well initially, but I loved them the next day!

If you happen to try these, fill me in!!! I'm starting to feel like I can conquer the world. So, we'll see what happens! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment