Friday, April 13, 2012

my test kitchen: Coconut Macaroons

While I was home for Spring Break, I was catching up on my google reading, and I came across a recipe for Coconut Macaroons (from Gina @ Skinny Taste). As far back as I could remember, I've always hated coconut, but my mom has LOVED it. Oh look, I'm home, she loves coconut... PERFECT. :)

We had my grandparents over for dinner one night and I whipped these babies up.

Let's just say that I enjoyed them, my mom loved them, and my grandpa DEVOURED them. :) And the rest went to a friend for Easter!




Coconut Macaroons
Servings: 17 • Serving Size: 2 cookies • Old Points: 3 pt • Points+: 3 pt
Calories:
129.2 • Fat: 7 g • Protein: 1.8 g • Carb: 14.5 g • Fiber: 1.1 g • Sugar: 13.4 g
Sodium:
74.2 mg (without salt) 

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup (5 large) egg whites
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 10 oz sweetened coconut flakes (Baker's)
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
Directions:

In a heavy saucepan combine egg whites, sugar and coconut flakes and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until all the ingredients combine together, about 12-15 minutes. The mixture should be sticky and moist, not dry. Remove from heat and stir in the almond and vanilla extracts. Set aside on a dish and let it cool in the refrigerator about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 300°. Using a tablespoon, scoop tightly packed tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet covered with a silpat or parchment paper.

Bake 27-30 minutes or until golden.

Makes 38 cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment