Saturday, March 26, 2011

day 32: hopeless tears and a double dribble...


today was another day of sightseeing with erin, laura, and krisanna. :) we started the morning off with pastries and headed off to see the wizard... or something like that. We took somewhat of a drive to go to Fatima. It is the catholic mecca in europe behind vatican city. The sight there was one that I hope I don't soon forget. People walking on their knees for hundreds of yards paying penance for their sins. Once we got into the cathedral at the top of the hill, several people inside were weeping against the back wall and in the pews. I'm not sure why, but i'm sure having a hopeless life followed by a hopeless eternity doesn't help matters... we walked out again and there was a place where you could purchase candles then light them. They believe that as long as your candle is burning your prayers will be heard. I'm so thankful that my RISEN Savior who was SINLESS paid the price for my sins, past, present and future, so that I don't have to worry about penance, but that whenever I confess, my prayers will be heard regardless of the triviality of a candle. Praise the Lord for His grace that is abundant for salvation and continual sanctification day after day. And praise the Lord for this needed reminder that millions out there, even at our doorstep, still wander in the darkness... their only hope is the Light of the world. Chinese missionary Gladys Aylward prayed each day for someone to share the gospel with. Have I even shared with someone in the past MONTH, or even YEAR!?! even if .3 percent of people listened to what I had to say, that would mean one salvation/year... if I chose to seek out people to share the good news with daily... how bright is my light? How bright is yours?

After an afternoon walking around the mall and feeling extra american eating mcdonalds, the four of us headed to a european basketball game. Less disappointing than march madness, but definitely more confusing! I wasn't sure of all the rules, but... I thought free throws would be similar... FALSE. The other players wandered around aimlessly and went towards the hoop even before the player made his shot... but, I felt obligated to yell my feelings towards the players, in english, when they picked up their dribble in awful places and hacked at other players and got mad when a foul was called, and when they would take four or five steps with no travel call... (not unlike the NBA though...) and after halftime, I realized that several players were yelling plays in english... and even from america... and that with only a couple hundred other people in the auditorium, they could probably hear each of my passionate frustrations aimed their way... oops... ;)

to cap off our day, krisanna and I headed to the grocery store. It was PACKED at 8:30 on a saturday night... one thing i'll never get used to. Everything here is later. There will be families with little tikes out at 11 on a school night and no one thinks anything of it. I'm usually toast by 9 on ANY night, and i'm only 21!!! I do NOT understand that! After another i-don't-speak-portuguese-so-i'll-just-smile-and-nod-like-an-idiot moment in the checkout, we headed home to cook dinner... yes, at 9:00. that's another thing they do here. At 3:30 on a saturday afternoon, mcdonalds was packed with their lunch crowd. Yet ANOTHER strange thing. Anyway, I made quesadilla burgers tonight for dinner and tried to make pudding from a packet (or flan... not sure) but the only thing I could read was ½ liter of milk... and 2 minutes. NOT enough to figure it all out, so I guessed... and I have NO idea how that turned out yet... it's still in the fridge “setting”

and that's all folks. We lose an hour tonight because of daylight savings... no more sunrises for me! :)

goodnight world, or for those in the US, enjoy your evening...

1 comment: