Monday, December 12, 2011

So there's this box...

For my overzealous friends, yes, I DID mean to type box, not boy. So quit it.

A few years back, a good "friend" presented me with a box. I was comforted with promises of being safe if this box. I could grow and not be crazy and everything would be wonderful! I shrugged my shoulders and hopped in. During those months I spent in that box, I was blinded, and trapped, but I convinced myself I was happy. Soon after, I wasn't myself at all. Then my box got dumped over, and I had to learn to stand again. I realized what had happened and decided that I couldn't bear to live my life in a proverbial box.

Down the road, I was shown another box. This one was bigger. More wiggle room. Instead of opaque walls, they were translucent. So, I hopped in! This time, I still didn't realize it. It took longer. It took a good friend to point it out.

I've been confined to boxes. I've limited myself based on what others think of me. I've tried to fit into the mold that others deem "perfect" or "acceptable." I try to be the one who always has it all together. I try to say the perfect things, do the perfect things, wear the perfect things, have the right friends...

I have the joy of enjoying freedom in Christ. He gave me desires and interests and personality and quirks. Within the boundaries of obeying what He wants, I can be myself. What an amazing thing!!!

1 comment:

  1. i have been learning this so much lately! it is amazing to learn who I am when all I am is myself. I had no idea how many people I was trying to please while going to school. And they all had different expectations so I got so caught up in trying to be so many different things. I always hated that expression "how is anyone going to like you if you don't even like yourself?" because I knew that God loved me no matter what! But if you don't let yourself be yourself, then no one will ever get to know the person that God created. and that would be such a shame :) so happy for you, and i love you

    ReplyDelete