Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Lttm: Day 3: Personal Challenge (slight understatement)

I went to workout this morning not really knowing what to expect. My trainer said today was a "challenge day." I thought to myself, "when you haven't worked out in a year, EVERY day is a challenge day." But nevertheless, I went. When I got there, I plopped down next to two of my three "friends" from the class and started some small talk [generally centered around our pity for ourselves and our amazement that one can actually become this sore] and I realized that one of them shared a mutual friend with me! So we built bridges. Then we noticed the whiteboard at the front of the studio. It contained our workout for the day. We looked at it, turned to each other and said (each in our own way), "that's a joke, right!?!"

The board looked something like this:
50 JJ
40 punch
30 GUSU
20 Shoulder PU
10 (I don't remember what this one said)
20 Shoulder PU
30 GUSU
40 punch
50 JJ

We agreed that the numbers had to stand for seconds. They just had to. So our trainer told us to grab a weight. Monday, the girls' weight options were 20 or 25 lbs. So I grabbed a 20. MY MISTAKE. He said we might want to grab a lighter weight if we doubt that we can handle it, but in the mad rush, all the lighter weights were taken... Then he said that the numbers were reps. I wanted to cry... So here goes...

50 JJ: Hold the weight at your in front of you below your waist. Do 50 jumping jacks, but with every jump, bring the weight up to your chest, elbows out. 50 TIMES.
40 punch: Take the weight at your shoulder and punch up so it is extended across your body over your head. This is when I stole a guy's 15 lb. weight. I'll thank him tomorrow. ;)
30 GUSU: Most painful thing ever. Lay on the ground holding said weight over your shoulders. With legs spread out on the floor, do 30 "get up sit ups." Sit up and raise the weight over your head. 30 TIMES.
20 Shoulder PU: These are what they sound like. Rear in the air, bring your head to the ground by pushing up. Also, extremely painful.
10 ... : Stand with legs apart, weight between them on the floor, even with your heels. Reach down, grab the weight, and raise it against your body to over your head. Set down, and repeat with the other arm.
Work your way back up...

The early morning class took everyone over 25 minutes to complete the rounds. I finished in 18:26. I am officially mediocre. :) And officially okay with that!

Today was tough! But tomorrow is cardio and abs. Another "challenge day" for me! Every muscle I have is sore. And it requires picking up my legs to get up off the couch. And I fell out of the car. And it took both arms to pick up the chocolate milk carton. :/ Oh well. 3 days down!

No comments:

Post a Comment