Tuesday, April 12, 2011

day 47: my greatest portuguese accomplishment yet...

today was another day of testing. :) you know you're teaching in another country when you get these questions during any given day of standardized testing:
      1. miss roberts, what is meaning of “foot” (referring to measurement)
      2. what is memorial day?
      3. They're not sure which is their first name and which is their last.
Those are a few things that keep me smiling and wondering how these kids survive these tests. But they make it, and several ask me if that's all they can do all day! Maybe they just hate my teaching... ;)

tonight, krisanna and I realized that we are really good at cooking in bulk. We made pasta dinner tonight with the intentions of saving some for lunch tomorrow. What we didn't anticipate was stuffing ourselves, then having leftovers enough for.... five or six lunches... for both of us... we have pasta coming out our ears! ;)

then, since this week is testing, we rewarded ourselves with a night on the town. We finished up our lesson plans and headed to the metro station and went to the mall. :) my FAVORITE form of exercise! SHOPPING! We've mastered the metro system, and charted out all the good malls along the way. We had a BLAST just being girls tonight, and just being americans. We can sit and giggle as much as we please... and no one can say a word (that we can understand anyway!) we've really enjoyed just spending time together. :) and making memories together. And learning about the culture together. :)

and lastly, today's INSANELY AWESOMELY FANTASTICALLY EXCITING accomplishment... my class was working on some hink pinks and the clue was “a light red beverage.” one girl asked what a beverage was... and since the answer was “pink drink” I didn't want to give it away... I thought for a second and then realized... hey! I know the word for beverage in portuguese! I trotted up to the board and wrote it down! She understood right away and I realized I had accomplished something small in her eyes, yet monumental in mine. I have learned to communicate BILINGUALLY!!! :) (somewhat...)

and that concludes a day in the life...

No comments:

Post a Comment