Thursday, October 06, 2011

when bitterness sets up camp.

I've never considered myself a bitter person. I've always been the one with a smile. I've been the one who laughs too much. I've been the one who's never really gone through a particularly trying time.

Well, maybe it's the transparency I've been working towards in my own life. Or maybe it's the devil and his evil temptations. But OH MY SOUL, I am a bitter person.

I'm still smiley. And those smiles are still genuine.

But I'm jealous.
I find reasons to dislike people simply because they're not me.
I get angry with people when they don't act as I think they should.
I hold onto wrongs committed. Why? Because I want to? I'm not even sure.
I choose not to love when love should be my only option.

Simply put, I have NOTHING to complain about.
My needs are supplied by the God who created and sustains the universe.

And the Maker of the stars hears the sound of my breaking, bitter, hateful, unloving, jealous, covetous, pathetic, disgusting heart.

He hears my unvoiced prayer.
He knows my sin.
He knows me.

...but He loves me anyway.


2 comments:

  1. i love this. i was just realizing that about myself too. it makes it all the more amazing to think about God's love though

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, and so hard to live out... thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete