Tuesday, September 27, 2011

DIY yarn wreath

I successfully completed my first DIY (do it yourself) project! I've started a few and have the intentions of starting a few more, but my dear friend Jennie gave one of these as a gift to another dear friend, Alyssa.

I've seen these puppies posted ALL over pinterest, which is the new rave, btw! Follow me! You won't be sorry! . . . and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

These yarn wreaths are everywhere. So I headed over to JoAnn and picked out my supplies.

Yarn... $3.00 with PLENTY left over for my next project. :)
Styrofoam wreath... $5.00. I've heard you can buy these at the dollar store, but I was afraid of lesser quality styrofoam.
Felt... $5.00 for a HUGE box of every color imaginable. Word to my mother for finding such a wonderful thing at a yard sale!
Wooden buttons to give it a more rustic feel... $2.00. But I still have plenty of leftovers! :)
Hot glue and gun... cheap? I don't remember. lol
Total cost: $13.00 but I have felt and yarn left to clothe a small army. Maybe my students???
Link
This tutorial looks great, but I didn't use one. Jennie explained it for a few seconds and I figured it out. Felt flowers can be found here and here.

After about a movie and a half, I was completely finished. Mine took longer than most since I alternated two colors of yarn to give it the "rugby shirt" effect, but I love it. :) It'll make my classroom door more festive once I make felt leaves with the students' names on them to hang as well!


Happy DIYing! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment